Two Elements of Transformation
Matthew 6:17-18; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11; 2 Kings 6:5-6.
God doesn’t leave us where we are. He loves us too much for that. He changed Simon to Peter. He changed the woman at the well from a prostitute to an evangelist. He even changed an iron axe head from a sinker to a swimmer. Our God specializes in transformation. Imagine what He wants to do in your life…
1. Jesus changed Simon’s name to Peter at the time He promised to build His church.
2. The church brings transformation. It changes us from who we were to who we are meant to be.
3. In 2 Kings chapter 6, the nature of an iron axe head was changed from sinking in water to swimming to the surface.
4. Just as the tree transformed the axe head, the tree Jesus was crucified on transforms us.
5. Regardless of your situation, transformation is available through the power of the church and the cross.
1. What are the two powerful elements of transformation in this lesson?
2. What is the meaning of the name, “Simon?” What is the meaning of, “Peter?” Why is this significant?
3. How has church impacted your life?
4. Are there any areas in your life that need transformation?
5. What can you do today to make a move closer to the church and the cross?
Changing ourselves is a daunting proposition. True transformation is difficult on our own but becomes a reality through the church and the cross. Why keep struggling to change through our own power when God offers His transformative power to move us from where we are to where we need to be?