The Power of Influence
1 Kings 13; Romans 14:7; 1 Corinthians 15:33.
God called a young prophet to challenge the ways of an evil king. An older prophet influenced the young prophet to disobey God’s instructions. After his disobedience, the young prophet was killed by a lion. The old prophet mourned, but he couldn’t change the results of using his influence to destroy a life. Our lives influence the people around us—for good or for evil. Your influence matters. Make sure it points people toward God.
- God gave a fired-up young prophet specific instructions to follow.
- An old prophet used his influence to persuade the young prophet to disobey God.
- The disobedience led to the death of the young prophet.
- Every one of us influences others for good or for bad.
- Our influence continues to impact people after our death, affecting people for generations to come.
- What was God’s instructions to the young prophet?
- How did the old prophet’s influence cause the young prophet to disobey God?
- What are some examples of ways you have been influenced, either for good or for bad?
- Who are you influencing? Are you influencing them in the right way?
- What sort of influence do you want to have on the generations to come? What can you do today to make sure that happens?
The old prophet made a tragic mistake. His influence caused a young man to disobey God, and to lose his life. What are we doing with our influence? The old prophet influenced in a negative way. But as we choose to walk closely with God and keep His Word in our hearts, we become powerful influencers for good.