The Power of Expectation
Now as the people were in expectation, and all reasoned in their hearts about John, whether he was Christ or not, John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you in water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal straps I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire (Luke 3:15-16).
People in Expectation
One translation says that: “The people were on their tip-toes in anticipation and expectation.” We need to understand that if God is going to do something, He looks for people who have expectation, i.e., those on their tiptoes and expecting God to do the impossible. For this to happen, we need to expect miracles and expect an outpouring of the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit is poured out when God’s people are living in expectation.
Colossians 2:14 says that “He blotted out the ordinance against us, He took it out of the way, and nailed it to the cross.” Why is this important? Because there is nothing that stands between you and your miracle. It is time for you to be on your tiptoes and expect the goodness of God, believing He is ready to do a miracle at any place and any time. Expect it!
The Holy Spirit is Jesus’ gift to you, to empower you in this life. John the Baptist said, “And He (Jesus) shall baptize you in the Holy Ghost and fire.”
The Holy Spirit wants to:
- Invade you - invasion is a military term for warfare. The Holy Spirit wants to conquer you internally.
“Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life (Proverbs 4:23).
- Envelop you - As a letter is put in an envelope and sealed, you are enveloped in the Holy Spirit, sealed, preventing uncleanness to touch you- protecting you along your journey.
“You are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise” (Ephesians 1:13)
- Instruct you - wanting to teach you all things.
"But the Helper, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance that I have said to you” (John 14:26).
- Impress you - bring impressions upon you, of what we are to do.
“But I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead” (Philippians 3:13).
- Indwell you - indwell your body as His temple.
“Whosoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall become a fountain of water, springing up into everlasting life” (John 4:14).
- Are their issues in your life that desperately need to change? What would be different about you if you were to live the next 7 days with great expectation for that issue(s)?
- Do you wake up each morning with expectation about the day or drag around hopeless, not expecting anything good to happen to you?
- Do you expect to receive “all” things He has for you, according to John 14:26?
The Lord said, “Your eyes have not seen and your ears have not heard, neither has it entered into your heart the hidden things that I have prepared for you.” (1 Corinthians 2:9)
The Holy Spirit wants to invade you, envelop you, instruct you, impress you, and indwell inside of you. As you dwell in the power of expectation - Receive his power. Receive his healing. Receive his anointing. Receive his impressions, His instructions. He’s going to envelop you. He’s going to invade you. He’s going to indwell you. Just worship him, and believe in the power of expectation by just reaching out and receiving your miracle.
1 John 3:2
1 Corinthians 2:9
1 Corinthians 14:2