First Fruits of the New Year
December 27, 2013
We are getting ready to set aside the first part of the year as a firstfruits fast to the Lord. It’s an opportunity to say, “I’m doing things differently, I’m breaking routine, and I’m rearranging priorities to put God first in my life this year”. Pastor Franklin’s message, First Fruits of the New Year discusses why this is so important.
- Exodus 13:11-13 describes the Law of the First Born. Why do you think it’s important that we understand this principle today?
- What is a tithe?
- Is “First Fruits” limited to money? What else would you consider part of your first fruits?
- Abraham and Sarah dreamed of a child for 25 years. Then it was like God said, “I don’t want the dream to be first. I want to be first”, when He challenged Abraham to sacrifice the dream (his son). Is there anything in your life you feel you’ve put first before God?
- God gave the children of Israel 10 cities to conquer in the Promised Land. But what did he instruct them about the first city, Jericho, in Joshua 6:19?
- Read Luke 16:11-12. Pastor talks about the unrighteous mammon being money and true riches being people. When we mishandle the little we’re given, do you think we’re limiting our potential?
Think about the difference between giving and bringing. Giving is like handing over something you want someone to have. Bringing is like returning something that already belongs to them. God asks us to bring our firstfruits offering. Render to the Lord what is the Lord’s in your fasting, prayer, and giving!
“Honor the Lord with your possessions, And with the firstfruits of all your increase; So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine.” Proverbs 3:9-10
What is Mache Mirak? Find out here www.jentezenfranklin.org/foodforlife/