Fasting is Hungering for God
January 22, 2020
The theme of our 2020 Fast is “Open Your Eyes.” Fasting is hungering for God. When you fast food, you help create a deeper hunger for God. There is a hunger hormone in your body that triggers when it’s time to eat. The only thing that will appease that feeling is eating. You don’t have to remember to be hungry; your body tells you! When we fast, we activate our spiritual hunger hormone. It may not feel enjoyable physically when we fast, but you are fulfilling your spiritual hunger. Every two or three hours, you’ll feel that spiritual hunger pang. When you were lost, you didn’t seek God, He sought you. But once you are saved, you get to seek Him. If you will seek Him first, He will be found by you—and do amazing things on your behalf.
1. When you don’t pray, you go hungry for something you need. When you haven’t spent time with the Lord, you create a hunger that only time with Jesus can fill.
2. When you don’t read the word, you are choosing to not hear His voice. Why would you pray and not want to hear Him answer you?
3. Carnality will never satisfy your need for Jesus. When your hunger for God is not fed with the right things, you will feed on the wrong things. When you don’t fill yourself with the things of God, you feed your spirit with things of the world.
4. You have to do battle for your family. You’re going to face the devil and so is your family, and if you aren’t feeding yourself with the things of Christ, you are not ready for that battle.
5. Don’t let the devil tell you that you are not important. You matter. You CAN make a difference. Sometimes the disadvantage creates a desperate hunger that Jesus sees and responds to.
6. Fasting causes you to break out of your comfort zone. Hunger will take you where nothing else will take you.
7. Fasting will move you off the sidelines and into the game. He will make a door where there was no door and will bless you in ways you never could have done without fasting.
8. When you fast, miracles WILL happen. New territory will present itself to you when you fast.
9. Fasting is not playtime. Sometimes when you fast, you will be thrust into the battle. Sometimes … all hell breaks through. When you are seeking God, be assured, the enemy is seeking to stop you.
10. Fasting is going to take you places this year you never would have gone to on your own. Your hunger will get you past your hesitancy.
11. While you hunger and fast, God will be working on your family and your breakthroughs! Some things will ONLY come out by fasting and prayer. You have to have a hunger and a burning desire—even a desperation—for God to move.
Hunger for Jesus, feast on Jesus, and the Holy Spirit will visit your family. Sometimes you have to fight and hunger after righteousness. Are you willing to fight? Are you willing to get out of the boat and experience God like never before? Go before the Lord and renew your commitment. Tell Him to awaken you to the things of the spirit. Be willing to hunger and thirst for HIS righteousness and you shall be filled! What a powerful word to start your year. God will release miracles if you are willing to hunger for more of Him.
Sign in or create a account to participate in this discussion.Sign in
account_circle Ana M Olmo de Vassallo
Through this fast we experienced amazing battles. Earthquakes, Influenza, drug and alcohol abuse and mental illness with close family members. All hell broke loose! We saw His glory in every situation and we made it through praise God!
account_circle Susan Ruden
Are there different ways to fast? Like is it just about not eating at certain times or could it be giving up certain foods?
account_circle Shal Paper
Thank you so much Jentezen Franklin!!! Im in the UK and joined the fast and are on day 19. Its been so helpful to me. When i go through my devotion in the morning, its like God is directly speaking to me. i know and expecting God to move bigtime in my life and families life. during this fast i had so interesting experiences. i will definitely speak with gratitude for this fast. Jentezen Franklin was definitely send into my life by God. i start by reading both his fasting books and all i can say Wow!!! thank you God!!!!
account_circle Khaling Grace
I would like to join the discussion as I want to hear from others who are doing the same fast. Mine started from 7 Jan.
account_circle Khaling Grace
I want to participate and get to know the other people fasting (21 days). Mine started from 7 Jan. I am from Nepal...
account_circle Alice Wanyonyi
This is an eye-opener! That is the prayer of my heart; that God may awaken me to things of the spirit. God may break the chains of addiction, a vicious circle of poverty, and stagnation. That I may be made whole and refreshed at my workplace, as a wife, as a mother and as a minister.
account_circle Stephanie Weli-Wosu
I need more of u Lord in my life and family
account_circle Shanthi Niles
I am doing a Daniel's fast these 21 days by eating only herbal porridge for all three meals. I am praying for my children for break through in their salvation, in their career and in finding partners for marriage. On the 17th day of the fast a proposal came for my daughter. I am praying for God's will.
account_circle Stephen Curry
That's so amazing,, I want to fast and have done some of it, but it is hard when you are physical working.