Day 2 | Fasting
Excerpted from Jentezen Franklin's 21-Day Fasting Bible Study
Returning today to the theme of focus because each day, your focus—what you choose to think about and feel—will become more and more important. Your hunger for food will start to take center stage as your physical flesh begins to send all those reminders to your brain telling you to eat, and eat NOW! But as scripture tells us, your thoughts and your focus are a choice, not a foregone conclusion.
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. II Corinthians 10:5
Take a moment to read Matthew 6:1-24. There is so much in this chapter that relates to the fast you are undertaking, so do not rush through this reading. Take time to take notes as you go, and always put a month and year next to any notes you take or verses that minister to you.
Think About It
- What specific verses from Matthew 6:1-24 really stood out or spoke to you today?
- There are many reasons to fast. Which of the following reasons most accurately apply to you?
- Need for open doors
- Need for miraculous provision
- Need for the touch of God in my life
- Fulfillment of my God-given dreams
- Need for a fresh encounter with God
- Need of a deeper relationship with the Lord
- Need of sensitivity to the things of God
- Bondages that need to be broken
- Salvation of a friend or loved one
- Desire to know God’s will for my life
- Need of healing in my physical body
- Take a moment and reflect on each of the items above that apply to you. What specifically would you like to see change?