How to be an Overcomer
According to James 3:14, it is not God who tempts us, it’s our own earthly desires. Temptation forces us into a position of trust and dependence on God. It drives us into a relationship with Christ, where we acknowledge our weakness and seek His strength. God longs for us to draw near to Him, and promises when we do, He’ll draw near to us. It is a beautiful cycle that leads us into a place of overcoming and changing who we are from the inside out.
Connection Point: No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to humanity. God is faithful, and He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation He will also provide a way of escape so that you are able to bear it. 1 Corinthians 10:13
1. What are some similarities between Joseph and Jesus?
2. How was Joseph's coat created?
3. What was the significance of Joseph's coat having long sleeves?
4. What should our reaction be when facing sexual temptation?
5. Who is responsible for the "coat of Christian character" in your life?
6. Why does God permit temptation?
Conclusion: We all face daily temptations. Many of them will go unnamed and unidentified if we are not proactive in seeking them out. Do you find yourself comparing your life to others on social media? That may be a temptation for you. Maybe you have a wandering eye, or spend money flippantly on shoes. The fact is everyone struggles with something. The key to finding freedom and growth is to acknowledge those things, repent of them, and seek the heart of Christ. Do that, and He promises that you will be an overcomer.