Strong and Mighty
“Be lifted up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in. Who is the King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle. Who is the King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty…” —Psalms 24
God wants us strong and mighty, just like Him. He is not weak and broken. He is strong and mighty. The temptation is to go down to be accepted. Everybody else is weak. You be weak. The apostles were not weak people. They were great men who did great deeds and thought great thoughts. We don’t join weakness. We’re called to be strong and mighty.
Joel 3:9 said, “…wake up the mighty men…” When troubles come, when trials come, when storms come, it’s time to wake up the mighty man or woman on the inside of you. We’re not weak. We’re called to be strong and mighty. God wants us to be truly strong and mighty.
The word strong or mighty is found 500 times in the Bible. Three times in Deuteronomy the Bible commands, “Be strong. Be strong. Be strong.” Don’t give in to your weakness. Don’t give in to your defeat. Don’t give in. Be strong. Three times in the book of Joshua, He says, “Be strong.”
The only way to BE strong is to FOCUS on strong. Focusing on weakness produces more weakness. Only strength can help weakness. The only way to make the weak stronger is to make the strong stronger. If you’re worried about people who are in their weakness, you need to get stronger because weakness cannot help weakness. The only thing that can help weakness is strength and being strong. We need to be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. You don’t get strength by catering to the weak.
Six Strength Truths
- As children of God we have a legacy of strength. The first thing I claim, if I’m strong and mighty, is mighty seed, mighty children, mighty grandchildren. I claim that promise. My wife buried that scripture in the foundation of the house that we live in, that we built 18 years ago. We put a Bible and opened it to that passage that said, “His seed shall be mighty in the earth,” and we buried it and put it in a bag. And when they poured the foundation, our house was built on that chapter. Mighty seed.
- We have strength in battle and in our struggles. Psalms 68 said, “They that have gathered against me…The mighty have gathered against me.” Some of us feel that. Some of you feel that, that mighty, your enemy is mighty, gathered against you. The mighty enemy is real. But my mighty is greater than his mighty. “Greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world.” We’re not to equivocate. We’re not to back up. We’re not to give in. We are to stand strong and mighty.
- We grow stronger through generosity and sacrifice. The Psalms say this: “Give unto the Lord, O ye mighty, give unto the Lord glory and strength.” God doesn’t want a little wobbly, weak praise. He said, “Give unto the Lord, you mighty people…”
- We gain strength through praise and worship. “Give unto the Lord glory and give it in strength.” When you give your praise and your glory to God, give God – Don’t give Him some wobbly, pitiful, weak praise but give Him a mighty praise. Give Him glory and give Him strength. What do you do when you’re in trouble? Praise God with glory and with strength, like you believe He’s still fighting my battle. That’s what you do.
- We have strength to lead others. We need mighty leadership. We don’t need leaders that want to be safe and secure and average. We need the strong and the mighty in leadership in such an hour as this. God took raggedy people and put them in a cave with a mighty leader named David. They were in debt and in distress and they were discontent. But because they got around a mighty leader, they all became mighty men.
- We are stronger together. The Bible talks about David and the mighty men coming together. There was a synergistic force that came when these mighty men all came together that they were unstoppable. And so it is when all of us come together. Combined effort based on people of strength, people of might coming together, willing to risk, willing to go after it is a powerful thing.
We must continue to grow become a people of valor. Paul wrote to Timothy and he said, “I write unto you young men that you be strong.” We need to call the strength of God into the new generation. Be strong against temptation. Be strong in your morals. Be strong in your character. Be strong. Only the strong can help the weak.
Embrace strength. Mighty men stood, the Bible said, against rovers. There were bandits, and they would come and try to steal from God’s people. But mighty men would fight them off. Jonathan, David’s nephew, fought a giant. God never had a giant on His side. Giants are freaks. The demonic world of intimidation has its giants, but we’re not giants. We’re called to be giant-slayers.
Don’t be afraid of what you face. It’s time to be strong and to be mighty because we have a mighty, mighty God. Lift up your head. Be lifted up you everlasting doors and the King of glory will come in. Who is the King of glory? The Lord, strong and mighty; the Lord, mighty in battle.
1 Samuel 17:45
2 Samuel 23:8-13
2 Samuel 23:20-21
2 Samuel 21:18-21
2 Samuel 21:16-17
After an arduous journey and under heavy fire, 4 Holocaust survivors were rescued from the fighting and immigrated to Israel
March 31, 2022