Exciting Progress Made on Apartments for Destitute Holocaust Survivors
October 15, 2018
In the last month, the work on the apartments for Holocaust survivors moved forward dramatically. Here’s the latest update:
- Excavation of the basement, which will be used for laundry rooms and storage areas, has been completed.
- Plumbing work is ongoing.
- A historic interior wall made of Jerusalem stone has been renovated.
- A gallery was installed and soundproofed in the northern apartment.
- Preparations are being made for the replacement of the roof.
- External work began to close in balconies and increase the size of interior rooms.
The vision for the future is exciting, with plans for a large kitchen and dining hall to provide daily meals, an elevator to accommodate the elderly who find it difficult to climb stairs, and a community center for residents to meet for social activities. It’s hard to imagine going from being alone and living in abject poverty to being part of a community and having a safe, comfortable place to live. Thanks to your continuing support, these Holocaust survivors are walking out of hopelessness and into a home.